The Kindergarten is a purpose built early childhood education and care centre offering a service to young families in Macleay Valley of NSW.
It opened in January 2005 and is licensed for 39 children per day aged between 2 and 5 years old.
There are two (2) playrooms;
- the Kindy First Impressions Room for children aged 2 and 3 years old
- the Preschool Pathways Room for 4 and 5 year olds
Our Mission statement outlines the following ideals, hopes and aspirations--
- That The Kindergarten is a preschool of possibilities where learning is child initiated and teacher facilitated.
- Instead of “how best to teach” our philosophy proposes “how best to learn".
- We are grounded in the belief that all children are competent, capable, inspired learners; hence we therefore trust their innate abilities and provide resources and adult support so children will thrive.
- We believe in building a child’s self- esteem on a foundation of acceptance, encouragement and respect. Ideas are nurtured as children are encouraged to think deeply as they work and play with friends, sing and dance, create art, read and write stories and enjoy the outdoors.
- Education thus forms a partnership with the child’s own interests, creating a lifelong love of learning.
- We believe people construct knowledge, by actively engaging in relationships where creative learning experiences occur that strengthen both personal and social understanding.
- Play opportunities experienced as a child influence and shape the capacity we have as adults to perceive the world and navigate our own lives within it.
This centre is rated at Exceeding National Quality Standard
Staff at The Kindergarten embrace the following values to underpin our Mission Statement as they engage with the children and families enrolled at the Centre:-
- respect for the individual and their rights as citizens
- understanding of difference
- acceptance of difference
- importance of respectfully listening to all contributors
- interplay of relationships
- respect for a sense of being and belonging
- interplay of learning and knowledge
- shared empathy
- respect for themselves (ie each child)
- group dynamics–ie the individuals place within the larger group
The Kindergarten acknowledges the traditional custodians of our land, the Dunghutti people and pay respects to Elders past, present and future.